Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Yarn Bombs in My Neighborhoods

So what is a yarn bombing? They seem to be happening with more and more frequency and are really cool up close. IMHO, it takes a lot of creativity and ingenuity to create one and then put it up when no one is seeing you do it. They normally make me smile or laugh, or both, when I come across one because these yarn bombs just show up when I least expect it and get me to think.
How did this tree know that I was hungry? 
In front of breakfast place, Christie's
 Burlingame, CA 
Photo: Knitted Candy Diva, Mar 2014
I didn't realize I started a photo collection of them until I took my latest one last Sunday while I was waiting for my name to be called for brunch and put 2 and 2 together as I was scrolling through my iPhone.

These were taking during a couple morning errand walks to downtown last December. On each corner of the 4-way intersection on 3rd Avenue, each of the concrete barriers were magically decorated with this machine-knitted Holiday festivus (See the red one in distance?). Love the pom pom touch! 
Christmas came early this year in
Downtown San Mateo, CA.
Photo: Knitted Candy Diva, Dec 2013
And in between this 4-way, trees on both sides and down to the next block were covered in this knitted Holiday wrap. This wasn't a one person operation here and a lot of acrylic was needed to hit these two long blocks filled with trees. It took these "elves" a few nights(?) to decorate everything. Definitely, the city didn't spend $$ on this. 


Love the "elves" who hit these two blocks.
Downtown San Mateo, CA
Photo: Knitted Candy Diva, Dec 2013
This was left up for the remainder of the Holiday season. You can't tell me that this doesn't make you smile or chuckle. Or get you to think how did they do this? And how long it did it take to plan and get all of this stuff knitted up? IMHO, Some really wonderful, creative people are out there in the world with deep pockets wanting to create street art for the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here.