Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Help Support an Indie Dyer Grow Her Business

As I was doing a knitting news search on my own blog - how cool is that new feature! - last night, I came across this article about Portland, OR-based indie dyer Knitted Wit. It's owned by Lorajean Kelley, a really talented artisan who has a great eye for hand dyeing and is known for her Community Supported Yarn (CSY). Lorajean has so much demand for Knitted Wit hand-dyed yarn and fiber she is moving her business out of her home and into a studio space that will be dedicated to her craft.

Lorajean is holding an online fundraiser to help her purchase the equipment to fill out her new space. For all those who donate certain amounts, Knitted Wit will be giving gifts as a "Thank You." If you have never seen or touch Knitted Wit "yarn candy" in person, you are missing something else.

Part of my stash, Knitted Wit, Binary,
100% Super Wash Corriedale, 150 g, 620 yds
Colors (L to R): Prussian Blue, Cedar, Carbon & French Kiss
(Photo: Knitted Candy Diva, Mar 2014)
From my personal experience, I was introduced to Knitted Wit in 2012 when Lorajean came down from Oregon to Dixon, CA and had a booth at Lambtown. I have been a raving fan ever since. There was so much gorgeous stuff to choose from. Had a really difficult time deciding because I was, as usual, getting sensory overload that I ended up purchasing the first four colors of light fingering that caught my eye, and I always say "Go with your gut," and some 2oz. 50/50 silk merino fiber I found in Lorajean's bargain bin for $5 because one of friends said she would spin it for me - Did I mention I don't spin, or want or have a desire to learn how to spin and I am very lucky to have friends who like to spin.
http://ravel.me/kvchin/mfh
Lucky me! Knitted Wit 50/50 Silk Merino
handspun by a very nice friend.
(Photo:Knitted Candy Diva, Nov 2013)
I still have not found the right pattern yet to knit any of my Binary stash, but I did ended up last Fall knitting the 2 oz. because my friend spun it and I was in a middle of hat knitting craze.  I found Mesh Flower Hat, a really cool pattern by Gretchen Tracy which showcased Lorajean's dyeing talent and my friend's spinning prowess. 

http://ravel.me/kvchin/mfh
Pattern by Gretchen Tracy
Hand knitted and photo by Knitted Candy Diva, Nov 2013
As a woman-owned, American small business, Knitted Wit has raised the inital $3,500 in a day and needs another $1,500 to purchase 3 vertical swifters. In Lorajean's words, this ". . .  will allow me to increase production significantly (I'll be able to wind yarn into skeins more quickly -- which means you'll see more regular shop updates and I'll be able to take on more LYS orders)."  Her fundraising campaign will last till April 24, 2014 if you want to help and support a very gifted indie dyer reach for her dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here.