Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Suprise "Spring is in the Air"

I believe in karma. Things come together for a reason and either you embrace it and go with the flow or ignore, or avoid, it and usually something not so great happens.
Cosmic Event: Creation of Spring is in the Air.
Photo: Knitted Candy Diva, Mar 2014.

The title of this post is very appropriate for this shawl and the particular circumstances it took to knit this.  I like finding and owning unique things. I think it's because everything is so mass marketed and consumed that nothing feels special or unique.  I think that is one of the reasons why I knit is to get pleasure knitting one-of-kind things that are made to my specific tastes.

The Perfect Storm

Donna, one of the owners of Black Diamond Alpacas (BDA), raises her alpacas at her Brentwood, CA ranch and hand dyes all of her yarn. As part of my compensation for sample knitting a shawl for her during the Fall of 2012, she let me choose 2 skeins of her vast spectrum of yarn. Shopping at Donna's booth is like being a kid in a candy store, so much to choose from I always get sensory overload and have to walk away, think and then return. 

 BDA Surprise, 250 yds of hand-dyed
Fingering,  100% CA grown Alpaca. 
Photo: Knitted Candy Diva, Fall 2012.
Donna had a very small batch of what was her experimenting in her kitchen and that she didn't know how to replicate this color after she dyed this particular batch. She called it "Surprise." I am normally drawn to pinks, plums, fuchsias, reds and purples and like I needed more of the same, but somehow I was gravitating to this because this would be the only batch of it once it was sold. I took 2 and it stayed in my stash till last month.

The Winter Olympics was coming up and I wanted to knit a shawl while watching it live. I normally look through Ravelry and my own library that I have in my Rav account.

If you haven't open a Raverly account, it's a definite must.There are over 4 million members and over 430,000 patterns to choose from. As of today, I have over 6,100 knitting and crochet patterns. Yes, crazy I know! Luckily, there isn't a physical folder or storage for them because I would most likely be on one of those people you watch on those hoarding reality TV shows. Most of them are or were FREE.  I don't crochet, but because they were free what can I say. I will never be able to knit all of these patterns in my lifetime. But I have knitted a few more than once because I loved knitting it and many were and are gifts. OK, so I am now justifying my behavior. Remember the heroine in Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series?!

Anyway, last Fall, Kristi Holaas was very generous to let Ravelry members choose one of her patterns for free for a very limited time. I was instantly attracted to the name "Spring is in the Air," liked the design and picked it thinking I was going to use something from my BDA stash some day.  

Close up: Diamond repeat stitch
Stitches West (SW) is held every year in at the Santa Clara Convention Center, literally in my backyard, and thought since I was going to knit during the Olympics to participate in the Ravellenic Winter Games 2014 and was planning to go, Sunday, the 23rd, which was the last day of SW which also was the last day of the Winter Games what I knitted had to be special to wear. It didn't get anymore cosmically in line than this:

Free (2 skeins of Surprise + Spring in the Air)
= Olympics + Ravellenic Games + SW 

 

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise

Well, my Surprise surprised me and things didn't completely turned out the way I planned. This relatively simple pattern wasn't that simple because, no fault on Kristi, I couldn't figure out how to K3into2 and I miscounted 1 stitch which caused me to frog this shawl not once, but twice. I can't have any "new design elements" and am a perfectionist by nature. 

My Surprise -- Spring is in the Air didn't turn simple at first.
It normally takes me a week to knit a shawl this size (64 inch x 21 inch) so I thought I had plenty of time to finish and wear and show Donna what I knitted with her gorgeous, soft hand-dyed alpaca fingering at SW.

This shawl was a mess and I didn't finished it until more than a week after the closing of the Winter Games, couldn't enter it in the Rav Games, or wear this to SW. I was bummed, but I moved on and felt there was a reason why I couldn't finish. I did wear another shawl and received the same number of compliments and ladies who wanted to touch it like what happened to me the year before. Overall, I had a great time and was a first time winner at SW.  I am a now a firm believer not to knit past midnight, of counting, re-counting and using stitch markers when I knit over 350 stitches per row to keep my sanity.

 

Would I Knit It Again?

I love how Surprise turned out. Alpaca is warmer than wool, but because the shawl is light fingering and airy it's perfect to wear for at least 3 out of 4 seasons in the San Francisco Bay Area and if I need to go to SF this is definitely a 4 season - scarf, shawl, shrug - accessory. The color is vibrant, very cheerful, goes with anything and makes me happy.

My, oh my. Frustration turned to gorgeous
results. Photo: Hand knitted by Knitted
Candy Diva, Mar 2014.
Next time, I would knit Kristi's small version using highly variegated yarn because the lace stitch would soften the variegation and I think the shawlette would look nice bunched up since I now have the large wrap version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here.