Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Made Time to Learn How to Read Knitting Pattern Charts - Finished Knitting Shawl Number 6!

Source: www.knittedcandy.blogspot.com
My first chart knitting project:
Summery "Ashton Shawlette"
Pattern:  Dee O''Keefe
Hand Knitted and Photo:
Knitted Candy Diva, June 2014

I took up knitting again 6 years ago after first learning simple knit and purl from my mom decades ago.  Like everyone, I started knitting long rectangular scarves in various yarn weights and stitch patterns which I did for over a year.  

For a long time, I would only find knitting patterns that had written-instructions. As I improved and increased my skills, I would look at patterns that had BOTH written and chart instructions. As I increased my knitting stitch repertoire, I started looking at the stitch chart keys and compared them with the written stitch instructions.  From what I have gained in knowledge and experience by just purely knitting numerous patterns, I have learned patience, the ability to follow stitch patterns, figure out the stitches themselves and start to "visualize" the pattern and its pattern repeats. 

Because knitting is very friendly, community base and it's in my tendency to be a perfectionist and by profession, highly customer service-oriented and a problem-solver, there have been times while knitting a newly release pattern I've found a stitch error(s) and have directly contacted the pattern designer to let her know what I have found because I strongly believe on continuous improvement and fix/solve the problem if I come across one. Why should someone else struggle knitting the same pattern when I know I can help and that person doesn't need to get frustrated?

So with this in mind, it has been one of my knitting goals to formally learn how to read charts since I have been "kinda doing it." As I mentioned in my June post, I've had the very popular Dee O'Keefe's "Ashton Shawlette" in my Ravelry queue because of her comprehensive charted pattern/ tutorial instructions for first time lace knitters for a couple of years but never found the right yarn to match the beauty of this pattern. 

My Summery "Ashton Shawlette" Results

My Yarn Choice


Personally, I love to support local, small business as much as possible. The Macedo’s Mini Acre yarn is hand-dyed in tiny batches by Maureen, one of the owners, a California Central Valley alpaca rancher. Maureen uses plants from her garden to make the dyes. These skeins have a girly, botanical feel and remind me of a sunny flower garden.


Source: www.knittedcandy.blogspot.com
California-raised alpaca
Macedo's Mini Acre Alpaca Yarn
220 yards/each, hand-dyed alpaca worsted-weight
Photo: Knitted Candy Diva, June 2014

I am a raving Macedo's Mini Acre fan! This is the third time I have knitted with Maureen’s soft, yummy alpaca yarn:


·        1st time:  Neapolitan Ice Cream "Serena Shadow Shawl"
·        2nd time: Interweave Lab 2013 "Occhielli Slouchy Hat"


My Pattern Modifications Because of My Yarn Choice


Source: www.knittedcandy.blogspot.com
Ran out of alpaca and came up with a "new
design element." Think it really brings out the
shawl's points or tips and the body's colors.
Hand Knitted and Photo:
Knitted Candy Diva, July 2014
Because I used worsted weight yarn, instead of fingering, I went up 3 needle sizes up (US 8, instead of US 5) for the body and used US 10 for the bind off using Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off.  I did run out of yarn 6 rows before finishing Chart 4 (at row 12). So I improvised and what I am now calling a "new design element" (and looking for same or similar green color in my stash that is found in the Macedo’s Mini Acre yarn) I finished knitting these last 6 rows and binded off using Elsebeth Lavold Eucool 75/25 wool / eucalyptus yarn. I doubled the DK weight yarn to get a worsted weight to match with the weight of alpaca. 

Ta Da!


I pretty much follow Dee's well-written instructions on how to read her charts.  After blocking, this shawl is LARGE: 68 in (w) x 30 in (h). 


source: www.knittedcandy.blogspot.com
Love the results! It's shawl, not a shawlette.
Summery "Ashton Shawlette"
Hand Knitted and Photo:
Knitted Candy Diva, July 2014

Definitely, I would knit this pattern again and would highly recommend this pattern if you want to learn how to read knitting charts on your own. Dee has expanded my knitting pattern world selection.  Ability to read knitting charts 2014 goal - Check! Mission accomplished.  

Wanna learn more about my details knitting this pattern, please visit my Ravelry project page.


Love to hear from you:  Which do you prefer, knit from charts or knit from written pattern? Do you contact the pattern designer to inform the designer you found a possible error?  Do you frequently make or like to make "new design elements or changes" when you knit? And do you try to buy and support your local LYS and/or try to buy locally made yarn/fiber?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here.