Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

My Aha Moment

I worked in the financial services industry starting in Jan 2001 and saw my first round of layoffs 3 months later, with the tipping point of 9/11 and been through at least 8 to 10 rounds by the end of the last decade with the same company. I watched the economy spiral out of control during the end as we went through the Great Recession and many of my friends and family lost their jobs and/or homes. I stopped actively going out to the mall. I noticed how much stuff I had in my closets and drawers, lots of it were the same. You know, jeans, black shoes -- flats, pumps, loafers, sandals, etc. --, t-shirts and sweaters. I stopped what I call "recreational shopping" in 2009 and don't miss it.  

To relieve my stress from work and watching 40% of my department laid off right before Thanksgiving 2008 through February 2009, I picked up knitting thinking I would get some control over my life. That year, I believe, I knitted 12 scarves. It was cool because I was learning new stitches and knitted different yarn weights. It also helped that I made all my Christmas and birthday gifts. They were well received. I was shocked how some of my friends, grown adults, were emotionally touched, to the point that some teared up and felt very honored.

It had me think about getting more crafty and making my own stuff vs buying at the mall. My mom taught me the basics of sewing, mending and knitting when I was a teenager. I remember sewing my first outfit. I was really stressed and not very fast in sewing it, but I felt a major accomplishment when I finished it. I remember you could buy fabric at JC Penneys, The Emporium, Singers besides Joanns. But now the only place left is Joanns and the quality of fabric isn't that great. Also its cheaper now to buy than to sew, when it use to be the opposite during my mom's time.

I recently found Over-Dressed and it has reinforced my thoughts about what is going on with this country, how we lost our manufacturing prowess and what are future can be like if we don't make steps to prevent it.

Thought provoking. I couldn't put this book down once I start reading it. Like Fast Food Nation, I will never look at my closet full of clothes the same again and will think about what I buy, wear, store and get rid of has consequences locally, nationally and globally.


Everyone should read this. It will change your
way of thinking.
So what does this have to knitting? It's cool to know who made it and where the yarn comes from. I have control where I buy my materials. I try to buy locally so that the rancher and hand-dyer can make a living which then the monies go back to support the local community. It's my part to help keep jobs in the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here.