Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Need One of These - An Easy, Simple Knitting Project Idea

Not enough time of the day to get everything done? Have stress and need a way to burn off some it off and just decompress? Or have you tried stripes-colorwork knitting?

Looking for a simple, easy all garter stitch knit?
MC: TOSH Merino Light, Duchess
CC: TOSH Merino Light, Composition Book Grey
Close-up: Mindless in a Good Way "Fibonerdy"
Pattern by Kourtney Robison
Hand Knitted and Photo:
Knitted Candy Diva
October 2014

Well, it's October and I've just finished knitting my 8th shawl for 2014. I have 4 more to complete before I start my gift knitting for Christmas and I am starting to feel the pressure to finish knitting my 12Shawls2014 Ravelry Group goal by the end of December. To keep things simple for Number 8, I was looking for a shawl pattern that was easy and mindless to knit since so far I have been knitting intricate lace pattern shawls, last being, Autumnal "His Golden Lair" by Kourtney Robinson

Luckily, I found Fibonerdy, a pattern that Kourtney also designed, that is just simple repetitive garter stitch knitting and switching between two skeins of fingering weight yarn, MC and a CC,  The only issue is having the stamina of getting to the end of this pattern and knitting 535 garter stitches! 

Fibonerdy, IMHO, is a not so strenuous alternative to knitting the extremely popular all garter stitch shawl wrap Color Affection which involves knitting short rows and switching between 3 skeins of fingering weight yarn. 

Conquered My Fear of the Hook


Took on one of my biggest knitting fears head on!
My pattern world has expanded exponentially!
I now know how to do a provisional cast-on.
Photo: Knitted Candy Diva
 September 2014

I did learned how to do a provisional cast-on and finally conquered my fear of using a crochet hook.  I've been avoiding learning how to do this particular cast-on for a few years because of my crochet phobia (Silly, I know and it does not make sense.) and would not knit a pattern if it required this cast-on. This was pretty much the only stressful thing about knitting this. I was able to do this successfully after my first attempt after watching my digital knitting instructor - YouTube!  

My Results



Huge, versatile scarf, shawl, wrap
Can wear it many different ways
Finished Measurement: 80 in (w) x 16 (h)
Mindless in a Good Way "Fibonerdy"
Pattern by Kourtney Robinson
Hand Knitted and Photo:
Knitted Candy Diva
October 2014
After purchasing my skeins at Nine Rubies Knitting, one of my favorite LYS in the San Francisco Bay Area because of their great yarn selection and wonderful, helpful service, I ended up knitting to gauge and had about 25 grams left of  MC: Madelinetosh Merino Light, Duchess and a few grams of CC: Madelinetosh Merino Light Composition Book Grey. At first I was worried that the MC would overpower CC. But the CC neutralized the MC. The shawl wrap is huge, but versatile. Definitely can wear it with a lot more than things than if I reversed the colors.


Warm and drapey.
Be sure to a lot time for binding off and
weaving all the ends.
Mindless in a Good Way "Fibonerdy"
Hand Knitted and Photo:
Knitted Candy Diva
October 2014

I binded off going up a needle size, US6 (4.0 mm), with now, my preferred go-to bind off - Plant Purls' Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off because I get great results every time, instead of what was stated in Kourtney's pattern.

Would I Recommend Knitting This?


Garter, garter, who has the garter?
Close-up: Mindless in a Good Way "Fibonerdy"
Hand Knitted and Photo:
Knitted Candy Diva
October 2014

YES! I loved how it turned out. This is a great travel knitting or knitting group project because all you knit is garter (with two colors) and its mindless to knit so you can focus on other things. 


Stripes, stripes. I see more stripes!
Mindless in a Good Way "Fibonerdy"
Hand Knitted and Photo:
Knitted Candy Diva
October 2014

But if you are looking for a little challenge, like learning a new lace pattern stitch, this IS NOT the pattern for you. Towards the end, you'll be knitting 400+ garter stitch/row after row till you make it to Row 138 (535 stitches) or around knitting 750 yards! 

A lot of repetitive stitches!
Mindless in a Good Way "Fibonerdy"
Hand Knitted and Photo:
Knitted Candy Diva
October 2014

I couldn't knit this as gift knit because it would kill me if the recipient would never wear this and left it in a drawer. Also after finishing knitting this, whatever feelings I had that maybe I would like to knit Color Affection has been squashed forever because just plain garter stitch knitting is not for me. My Mindless in a Good Way "Fibonerdy"  is my one and only and is more than big enough for me.



Wanna learn more about my details knitting this pattern, please visit my Ravelry project page.


Love to hear from you:  Love to only knit garter stitch? Do you switch it up and knit a "mindless", easy knit project after knitting challenging patterns to give yourself a break? Have you tried or do you like stripes-colorwork knitting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here.